Wednesday, August 15, 2007

First Fenway Experience . . .







Last night I went to my first Red Sox game, and I can honestly say that it was an eye opening and heart pounding experience. Those of us who are too cheap to buy tickets ahead of time and at a higher price, can stand in line starting 5 hours before game time. By doing this, one becomes eligable for "cheap tickets", which are basically tickets that season pass holders aren't using for that night. They range anywhere from $12-$40 a seat. While we waited out in line we had some AMAZING hotdogs with roasted red pepper and onion, for a whopping $3 versus the $6 the same thing would cost inside the game. Once inside, the green of the grass constrasted with the green of the "Green Monster" aka the patented green scoreboard, was awesome. Every fan sported some sort of Red Sox attire, be it hat or shirt or jacket. While we waited for the game to start, the organ was being played with songs like, "Bohemian Rhapsody," or "Hungry like the wolf". It was genius.
Our seats were almost back row, so we sat up as close as we could get until we got kicked out - then moving back slowly getting kicked out every 15 minutes or so. The nice thing was, no one was mad we were sitting in their seats, it was almost expected and as long as we moved without a fight everyone could smile and be friends. I anxiously awaited the moment at the bottom of the 8th inning when they would play, "Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond and all the fans would erupt in karaoke style sing along . . . .and when that moment came how sweet it was!!! Those who know me well, may know of my love for Neil and this moment was perfect on so many counts. I also loved the moment in the game when the crowd started chanting . . . ."Yankees Suck!"??? Yup, Fenway Park is the only place in the world where you will hear those words when the team being played is NOT the Yankees. Brilliant.

The game itself started off a little slow. The Sox played Tampa Bay Devil Rays, and the first run was scored in the third inning by Tampa Bay. No one else scored until the bottom of the 9th, with one out when we got a homerun. This brought the score up 1-1 with a promise of extra innings. Personally, I didn't want to stay there for another 10 innings, as I thought this would be the case. We finally had a double hit, putting one man on 2nd base, and good ole' Coco Crisp (yes folks, that is his REAL name!) was up to bat. Bottom of the 9th, 3 balls-2 strikes-2 outs. We were holding our breath as he swung at his last chance and . . . . foul ball. So we had one more chance. The anticipation was thick and then . . . . ground shot to left field, Crisp makes it to second while our runner on third slides in for a run and we WIN THE GAME!!!! I've never screamed so loud, or heard a roar so loud as the one that came from this crowd of fans . . . this is what life is all about.

4 comments:

Tiffanyrose said...

Trish, that looks like a blast!! I am jealous, wish I was there!

Jacki said...

the hot dog brings out your eyes

Jill said...

love it! I linked you to our blog- it's paulandjilltanner.blogspot.com. Now we can be blogger friends too. Love ya :)

Jacki said...

Trish~Kyle shed a tear when he saw your blog. He's very jealous